Meet the Chairmen
Dr. Nidal Salim
Director General GIWEH:
Global Institute For Water Environment and Health , Geneva
- Founder and Director General of Global Institute for Water, Environment and Health (GIWEH)
- Steering Board member of the Swiss Water Partnership (SWP)
- Board of Council member of Asia Water Council (AWC)
- Dr. Nidal Salim, a Palestinian citizen living in Geneva, Switzerland, was born in 1968. He obtained his undergraduate degree in Applied Geophysics from Damascus University (1993), his master’s degree in Groundwater Hydrology from UNESCO-IHE, Delft, the Netherlands (1998), and his doctoral degree in the Application of Remote Sensing and GIS in the Water Cycle from the University of Geneva, Switzerland (2006).
- In 2007, Nidal Salim founded the Global Institute for Water, Environment and Health (GIWEH). GIWEH was formed in recognition of the need for a new, broad-based, interdisciplinary approach to water, in order to respond to the recent tremendous increase in threats to environmental safety.
- Before forming GIWEH, Nidal was involved in collaborations with different research institutes, universities, and international organizations—such as the Middle East Peace Process, Water Working Group, EXACT, World Health Organization (WHO), World Meteorological Organization (WMO), United Nations Environmental Program (UNEP), and many others. Prior to joining the University of Geneva in September 2002, he worked as a Director General at the Palestinian Water Authority (PWA), which involved many separate hydrological projects at local and regional scales.